Monday 16 June 2014

Monday Madness! 16/09/2014


Hey Happy People!      
Janie & Rob
Corfu 2013

How are you all?
Great?
Oh that's brilliant, I'm happy too now!

TODAY 
C is for...
Super C Recipe
Myth Busting - Metabolism
Move More, Chill a Bit Less
Marlene Watson Tara 
Freebie Gym Pass
And More in today's blog!



It's Monday again already! I know I keep saying it but here I go ...........................where the heck does the time go?

2014 seems to be literally flying by and we are half way through the year already. Did you make any new Years Resolutions about good health last NYE? Have you stuck to them and are reaping the rewards of great health or did they fly out of the window as fast as time? I would love to know now that we are at the half year mark. email me here!
I decided to treat my body like the proverbial temple after all it's the only body I have and I want to enjoy life to the full!

This week we are at the letter C!

C is for?                                            
Carrots  Cranberry Corn
Cauliflower Cassava Comfrey
Cabbages of lots of varieties Cucumber
Cavalo Nero Cantaloupes
Courgette Celeriac Celery
Coconut Capers Chicory
Carambola (Star Fruit) Chives






Cavalo Nero
www.abc.net.au
The C Recipe of the week
This weeks recipe uses Cavalo Nero but you can use any greens for this side dish including cabbages, sprouts, kale and spinach. its a great way to jazz up those wonderful all important greens.
If you don't like your food too spicy omit the chili! I think I have a chili addiction so there is never enough for me!




Spicy Herb & Garlic Greens

Ingredients
Cavalo Nero - a good bunch per person.
1/2 teaspoon of butter per person
1 garlic clove per three persons (finely crushed)
fresh diced chili prepared and and amount to personal taste
1 tsp of fresh oregano per person
1 tsp fresh thyme per person
1/2 tsp finely diced rosemary per person.1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar per four persons

Method
* take out the chunky stalk (put in compost bin) from the Cavalo Nero and add de-stalked leaves to boiling water. I don't salt the water but that is personal taste. Cook until just past al dente. 
* drain and chop finely.
WHILST THE LEAVES ARE COOKING
* place the butter in a pan on low and melt gently without it burning.
* add the garlic to soften, do not burn.
* after two minutes add your herbs and if using your chili
* after three minutes add the balsamic .The mix should sizzle , let the balsamic cook down for a minute of two
* add the Cavalo to the pan ensuring it is smothered with your delish syrupy butter.


Eat and Enjoy!

Please let me know if you tried this week's recipe and how much you enjoyed it. Let me know here








Myth Buster! 

Every week I investigate a health/diet related myth for you. This week its all about the metabolism.

The Myth: A slow metabolism prevents me from losing weight.

Here's the good news for overweight people - your metabolism is higher than that of slim people. FACT
This means that an overweight person burns more calories than a skinny person does and that is why when you join a slimming club for example you start off with a higher calorific/point/syn allowance than members who weigh less than you. As you lose weight your calorific needs are less and your allowances are adjusted downwards to compensate.

Increasingly we live sedentary lifestyles and that combined with taking in too much energy in to our bodies we gain weight. It has nothing to do with your metabolism as Clare Grace a research dietitian at Queen Mary's Hospital, London states, (and we all secretly know), 

              "Weight gain is caused by taking in more energy than we use up."

If you have a health/diet myth you want investigating let me know here

Move More , Chill a Bit Less

There's a new craze sweeping the UK. As you can imagine it has come over from the States so i'ts a little quirky!It is.............................Mall Walking!
 According to sources a 30 minute brisk walk around the shopping centre burns around 200 calories! Sounds damned good to me!
At present the following centres in the UK are offering free Mall Walking sessions;
The Bullring, Birmingham
The Trafford Centre, Manchester,
White Rose, Leeds.
www.telegraph.co.uk
Why not give it a try? And if you don't live near these centres why not get a group of friends together and do your own thing? You can send photos to me here

 FREEBIE ALERT! To get you moving more and you fancy giving the gym a go before committing yourself you can get  a free gym pass for three days at LA Fitness. Click here.to get it. I love a freebie don't you?!!!!


Lil' Updates
As you may have read in last Thursdays blog I am setting up this blog on a new platform to give you a better experience. It is pretty time consuming but I am busting my backside to get it ready ASAP.

LOOK!The wonderful Marlene Watson Tara has donated an amazing prize to celebrate the move! I can't believe how lucky I am that she has done this for us all.
Marlene is a Macrobiotic Guru and her methods have been life changing for me and thousands of other people. She runs regular classes, certified macrobiotic teacher training and much more besides. Check out her website Marlene Watson Tara 

check out the apron!

Coming in Thursdays Blog!
Alfriston Gossip
Motivation Central
Move for the weekend - get active!
Weekend recipe


I hope you have a wonderfully healthy, happy week.
Much love and support to you all
Janie xxxxxxxxxxxx 
PS. I'm nosy so I'd love to hear what you are up to!

















No comments:

Post a Comment